Saturday, November 11, 2006

Remember

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1

Remember! Why do I say this? Today here in Canada is Rememberance Day. We remember the men and women that fought in WWI and WWII and any other war or peacekeeping since.

These are the reasons I remember.

I remember because I am able to live here and be free. Free to speak, free to go to school, free to have the things I have, and free to worship the Tiune God.

I remember because of a friend of mine from church. He was in WWII and his job was to clear the enemy lines. He operated the flame thrower. He has trouble sleeping because of the dreams. The amounts of people he had seen die at his hands and the amounts of people that had died by others hands. He watched his Sargent get shot in the head right beside him and the bullet was actually meant for him, he bend over to stand up when the shot hit.

I remember for a friend of the family who was a peacekeeper. He has PTSD and has terrible dreams. He is in counselling and is finally starting to adjust.

I remember because of my great great uncle Yoyo (we called him that growing up). He is in longterm care now. He was an alcoholic for many years. He never talked about the war.

I remember because of my grandpa. He was an alcoholic most of his life. I belive that his drinking had to do with trying to drown the memories. He liked to watch documentaries on the war but he would never talk about the war. He was a truck driver and he would take supplies and men to the front lines. Dad said that he would talk about the war but only with fellow veterans. He told his story to my brother Cookie right before he died. Cookie won't talk about what he and Grandpa talked about.

I pray that the soldiers that are in the Armed Forces are protected and that they will put their faith and trust in God and that God will guide them in all that they do.

I wish that people would respect this day. There have been stores in the city that have refused the selling of poppies. There have been antiwar people selling white poppies right now. There have been teenagers in this very town who have defaced our local war monument. I like to know WHY? Why do they disrespect this day and any rememberance of this day? If it were not for the winning of those wars we would not have freedom. Unfortunately freedom today is taken for granted and has gone to far and has croosed the line. But I will not start because I will start to rant about how todays societies have become a complete sespool of waste and there is no respect for anyone or anything.

So today I will remember. Please say a prayer for all the men and women that suffer the memories still today and for the men and women that are fighting today. And thank the Lord for the freedom that we have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home