Sunday, May 18, 2008

nice evening

Tonight we had a couple over for supper and we had a very nice evening. D (the husband) is a pre-sem student and will be going into the sem this fall. I had met him twice and his wife just the once and with him helping Truckerman with his Greek this past year and us (mainly me) not knowing well, many of the pre-sem guys, we invited them over.

We had a very nice BBQ and dessert. Plus we had a very nice visit. J (D's wife) and I got to talk and we both have some of the same fears of being a sem wife and also a pastor's wife. Unfortunately she created some other fears about sem life that I did not have before because I did not know. OY!! Maybe living in a bubble would be the best thing for me. I am doubting myself already and Truckerman isn't even there yet. I am scared of a lot of things to do with this area of our life together and I am scared that I am not good enough for what God and sem are looking for out of me.

3 Comments:

At 3:05 p.m., May 19, 2008 , Blogger Susan said...

I can't be sure what the sem expects of you, but they should expect you to be your husband's wife and NOT a special thing called a "pastor's wife."

What God expects of you is to be a wife and mother, hear God's word, confess your sins, receive His forgiveness in the preaching and the Supper, and live in love toward your neighbor. It can be scary if you think of "being a pastor's wife." Don't. Just be Truckerman's wife.

 
At 3:21 p.m., May 19, 2008 , Blogger Kirken said...

thank you so much. i struggle everyday to be the person God wants me to be. so the thought of being a sem wife then a pastor's wife scares me to death. i can be Truckerman's wife and that some days is a struggle too because i am so far from perfect.

i was told that he will be graded on my role in the church during his time in sem. that is tough with my job to be able to commit to anything.

 
At 6:40 p.m., May 19, 2008 , Blogger Susan said...

Might the "being graded" have to do with whether you come to church or not? Whether you mouth off to the pastor or not? Whether you believe what your husband believes? Maybe it's not a grade on how involved you are, how many leadership roles you take or how many cookies you bring to the bake sale. At least, I would hope it's not. Pastors' wives are not assistant pastors. They should not undermine the pastor. They should be faithful members of the congregation, but no more than any other layman.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home